Mother, three children homeless following fire
A mother of three is now struggling to cope after fire gutted her one-bedroom house at Halls Avenue in Port Antonio, Portland, Thursday evening.
Forty-three-year-old Nordia James, unemployed, is still in shock following her loss, which has also left her three children - ages 11, six, and two years - homeless and without a change of clothing.
"I lost everything in the fire," said James.
"At the time of the fire, I was not home as I had gone to collect my six-year-old girl at school. It was while on my way back that a friend met me and informed me about my loss. All my children's clothes, school uniforms, shoes, food stuff, and furniture were burned. I am now at a loss as to how to cope with this crisis, "she related.
SHOUTS FOR HELP
It was a neighbour that reportedly saw smoke coming from James' house and shouted for help. Furniture was hastily removed from three houses that were in the proximity of the building, which was already on fire.
By the time firefighters arrived on the scene, the one-room dwelling was already burned to the ground. The firemen carried out cooling-down operations, and only the scarred remains of what appeared to be a stove, a mattress, a refrigerator, and a bedside table were seen in the debris.
James and her three children spent Thursday night with a neighbour but were unsure how long that kindness would be extended to them.
The mother of three has made a passionate appeal for food and clothing, especially for her children, who are in dire need.