Sat | Oct 24, 2020

Hospital tragedy - Medical intern collapses, dies

Published:Friday | August 14, 2020 | 12:26 AM
Dr Yakeev Morris.
Dr Yakeev Morris.

The medical fraternity in St Mary has been plunged into mourning following the sudden death of Yakeev Morris, an intern at the Annotto Bay Hospital, on Wednesday.

Fresh out of university, the 26-year-old began his internship at Annotto Bay Hospital in July and was respected for his contribution during his stint.

Morris’ work schedule had him working last Saturday and then on Wednesday.

However, it was disclosed that he worked on Tuesday, filling in for a colleague, before starting his scheduled duty on Wednesday. While on duty, he collapsed and died.

When The Gleaner reached out to grieving relatives of the deceased in Charles Town, St Mary, on Thursday, they declined a request for comment but promised to call back.

A statement from the North East Regional Health Authority (NERHA) said that Morris was assigned on July 20 as part of a complement of nine medical professionals in the Paediatric Department.

On Wednesday, Morris was in the process of accompanying a clinical team with the transfer of a neonate from the paediatric ward to the Bustamante Hospital for Children when he complained of dizziness and feeling unwell. He subsequently collapsed and was notably unresponsive.

Morris was immediately taken to the Accident and Emergency Department where the medical team tried to resuscitate him. Morris, however, did not regain consciousness. He was pronounced dead at 6:50 p.m.

An autopsy is being scheduled.

NERHA and the Annotto Bay Hospital have started grief counselling sessions for staff at the hospital and will be reaching out to the family, the statement said.

Opposition Spokesperson on Health and Wellness Dr Morais Guy also extended condolences to the family of the deceased.

“It’s a most unfortunate situation and I would like to express on behalf of the Opposition and all Jamaica our condolences at his passing,” Guy told The Gleaner.

“It must be very difficult for his parents at this time, as all deaths are for parents, but just as he had finished his five and a half years of study and just started to work and collapsed, is an unfortunate situation.”

Meanwhile, senior medical officer at the hospital, Dr Glenton Strachan, said that Morris was scheduled to work for three months in the Paediatric Department before being shifted. He described his death as sad.

“It’s very difficult, very, very difficult, (because) it’s not somebody known to have any medical illness on record,” Strachan said.