Real Madrid gets PSG in CL Round of 16 draw
NYON, Switzerland (AP):
Real Madrid versus Paris Saint-Germain (PSG). Cristiano Ronaldo versus Neymar. Historic achievement versus burning ambition.
Two-time defending Champions League winner Madrid was drawn yesterday to play the tournament's standout team in the last 16, made possible because the 12-time champions finished second in their group while PSG won its group.
"They (PSG) are really very strong in every department of the field," Madrid director Emilio Butragueno said. "But I have to underline, we are the holders, and our players, they always rise to the occasion."
PSG bought Neymar from Barcelona for a record €222 million (US$262 million) fee in the summer with a specific aim of winning a first European title. Madrid won six European Cups before PSG was even formed in 1970.
"As I always say, we must be ready to play any team and we will be ready," PSG president Nasser al-Khelaifi said in a statement on the club's website.
Neymar scored in five straight wins as PSG finished ahead of Bayern Munich in its group, finishing with a competition record of 25 goals in the group stage.
Ronaldo scored in all six of Madrid's matches to set another Champions League record.
Barcelona, which leads the Spanish league unbeaten despite the loss of Neymar, was drawn to face Chelsea in a meeting of recent champions. The English club is one of the few opponents Lionel Messi has failed to score against.
With eight former winners in the line-up, another clash of European champions pits Liverpool against Porto.
The first legs will be played from February 13 to 21, with the return matches from March 6 to 14.
The final will be played at the Olympic Stadium in Kiev, Ukraine, on May 26.
Champions League Round of 16:
• Juventus FC vs Tottenham Hotspur
• FC Basel vs Manchester City FC
• FC Porto vs Liverpool FC
• Sevilla FC vs Manchester United FC
• Real Madrid FC vs Paris Saint Germain
• FC Shakhtar Donetsk vs AS Roma
• Chelsea FC vs Barcelona FC
• FC Bayern Munich vs Besiktas JK
Europa League Round of 32:
• Borussia Dortmund v Atalanta BC
• OGC Nice v FC Lokomotiv Moscow
• FC Copenhagen v Atletico Madrid
• FC Spartak Moscow v Athletic Bilbao
• AEK Athens v FC Dynamo Kiev
• Celtic FC v FC Zenit St Petersburg
• SSC Napoli v RB Leipzig
• Red Star Belgrade v CSKA Moscow
• Olympique Lyonnais v Villarreal CF
• Real Sociedad v Red Bull Salzburg
• Partizan Belgrade v Viktoria Plzen
• Steaua Bucharest v SS Lazio
• PFC Ludogorets v AC Milan
• FC Astana v Sporting Lisbon
• FK Ostersunds v Arsenal FC
• Olympique de Marseille v SC Braga