Sat | Oct 16, 2021

Mobay's killer dad found

Published:Friday | April 29, 2016 | 4:45 PMAdrian Frater

Rousevelt 'Timmy' Thomas, who allegedly confessed to killing his three-year-old daughter prior to making a daring escape from the Barnett Street Police Station in Montego Bay shortly after 1 p.m. on Thursday, is dead.

"At about 10:15 this morning (yesterday), the man who escaped custody while being interviewed by the police in the presence of his attorney was identified by his relatives," said Assistant Commissioner of Police Winchroy Budhoo in reference to Thomas, whose body was found in an abandoned house in Glendevon.

Prior to his escape on Thursday, Thomas reportedly confessed to killing the child because of a dispute he had with her mother. He reportedly also confessed to being a lottery scammer.

When The Gleaner visited the Joan Avenue address in Glendevon, where Thomas' body was found, the house was locked up and looked undisturbed. Dried blood, however, stained the ground in the back of the yard.

"At approximately 10:30 p.m., I heard three shots coming from the direction of the yard where the body was found," a resident told The Gleaner. "About 15 minutes later, two policemen came along and I saw them putting up the yellow tapes around the yard."


The residents say that Thomas was a complete stranger to them and they were perplexed as to how he ended up in the area as nobody there knew him.

According to police reports, at approximately 8 p.m. on Monday, Thomas went to the Flower Hill home of Chris-Ann Clarke and took away his daughter, Lashaunie Thomas, who was apparently spending time with her mother.

Shortly after he took the child, Thomas reportedly called his mother and told her that he was going to kill himself and kill the child. His mother became quite concerned and called the child's mother and told her what her son had told her.

The child's mother promptly made a report to the police about the threat and a unit was dispatched to look for Thomas and the child. The child's body was found at the popular Dump Up Beach on Tuesday morning.

After making contact with the police through a pastor, Thomas surrendered at approximately 8 p.m. He subsequently escaped shortly after 1 p.m. on Thursday while being questioned by the police.