Tue | Sep 28, 2021

Forbes to tell all soon on JCF return

Published:Tuesday | July 27, 2021 | 12:10 AM

Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) James Forbes, the former head of the police Community Safety and Security Branch, is all set to resume duties in the constabulary on Wednesday.

The 32-year veteran whose service came to a premature end in 2012 after he was slapped with fraud charges now has only four months left in the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) before retirement, as he turns 60 in November.

The officer was charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice in 2012 and two years later was convicted and fined $800,000 or six months’ imprisonment.

The Police Service Commission, which had terminated Forbes’ contract, has now reinstated him following his victory in the Court of Appeal which had overturned his conviction in February

Forbes, following that ruling, was resolute in his utterances then that he would not be returning to the JCF.

But it appears he has now backtracked on that decision, leaving some to speculate that his return may have to do with him securing his pension.

The senior superintendent, when contacted on Wednesday, confirmed that he would be resuming duties on Wednesday but was tight-lipped on his about-turn on rejoining the JCF.

When pressed, Forbes said he did not want to pre-empt his meeting with Police Commissioner Antony Anderson and promised to reveal his future plans after the meeting.

On Wednesday when he officially resumes work, he will participate in a series of meetings that will include the Police Officers’ Association, the Police Federation, and Crime Stop, for which he was the face for years.

The charge against the SSP emanated from a meeting he admitted facilitating between Bruce Bicknell and two police sergeants after the businessman was arrested and charged for allegedly trying to bribe one of the cops with two $1,000 notes. This was after Bicknell was issued a speeding ticket in April 2012 in east Kingston.

Portland Western Member of Parliament Daryl Vaz was also charged in the matter after he approached one of the sergeants expressing concerns about the businessman’s health. However, both Vaz and Bicknell were later freed.

Forbes had maintained that he had done nothing wrong and felt vindicated in February when the appellate court ruled in his favour.