Tue | Jan 25, 2022

Pelé in hospital due to colon tumour

Published:Wednesday | December 8, 2021 | 3:35 PM
File photo shows Brazilian Pele while attending the 2018 soccer World Cup draw at the Kremlin in Moscow on December 1, 2017. Pele was today hospitalised once more in Sao Paulo to continue his colon tumour treatment.
File photo shows Brazilian Pele while attending the 2018 soccer World Cup draw at the Kremlin in Moscow on December 1, 2017. Pele was today hospitalised once more in Sao Paulo to continue his colon tumour treatment.

SAO PAULO (AP):

BRAZILIAN SOCCER great Pelé was hospitalised in Sao Paulo to continue his colon tumour treatment.

Hospital Albert Einstein said in a statement today that 81-year-old Edson Arantes do Nascimento is "stable and expected to be released in the next few days".

Pelé's assistant Pepito Fornos told The Associated Press that Pelé is having chemotherapy sessions to treat the tumour that was found during routine exams at the end of August.

Pelé was briefly put in intensive care after surgery on his right colon. He was discharged on September 30, almost one month after being hospitalised, and doctors said he would begin chemotherapy.

Pelé had been recovering at his home in Guarujá, outside Sao Paulo. He published several videos and photos on his social media channels showing his health is improving.

The Brazilian's latest Instagram post was published on Tuesday; a picture of him and another World Cup winner, Germany great Franz Beckenbauer.

Pelé won the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups and remains Brazil's all-time leading scorer with 77 goals in 92 matches.

Before his health scare, Pelé had been staying out of the public eye following the cancer-related death of his brother, Jair, in March 2020.

Follow The Gleaner on Twitter and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.