Real Mona stand with KSAFA over Tier II issue
KINGSTON AND St Andrew Football Association (KSAFA) Super League winners Real Mona will not be accepting their invitation to participate in the National Tier II Competition, confirmed club president Peter Moses.
Yesterday was the deadline for clubs to send in their submissions, however, the former Citi Bank CEO said his club will not break ranks and will uphold KSAFA’s stance on the matter.
Nevertheless, he admitted that he was disappointed with the current impasse between the parent body and the corporate area association and calls for a quick resolution.
“We are in line with the resolution the football association that we are a part of has established. I regret that we are not in a position to participate as our club is a member of the association.
“The clubs passed a resolution a year ago that we were not going to participate in Tier II and nothing has changed. I have to be true to the association that we are a part of,” he said.
While admitting that the current Tier II format would create a financial nightmare for Real Mona, Moses said that Real Mona has been losing players at an alarming rate because of the decision.
“It does not mean that I am not disappointed. It is part of the frustration, and we need sound minds to sit down and sort this thing out. It cannot continue, and it is not good for the game.
“It is a sad state of affairs that the governing football body, and the biggest parish association cannot find some common ground,” he lamented.
“Even so, we would not be able to participate in Tier II as it is structured because of the cost associated with participating in that format.
“It would be really difficult to finance what would be needed to participate. Transportation, housing, food, salary, and coach’s salary. We are an amateur club, and it is very hard to get sponsorship for football nowadays, especially at Tier II level, and our attempts to get financial assistance through the JFF has not borne any fruits.”
Real Mona’s decision means Super League runners up Meadforest will avoid playing in a qualification tournament for Tier II, while Boys’ Town will take their playoff slot.
Meadforest had already declared their intentions to participate, and though Moses believes they are within their rights to do so, he said they should be prepared for any consequences.
“Meadforest made their decision, and I do not know what the consequences of that are. But let’s say they go up and come back down, where do they come back down to? Nevertheless, none of this is good for the game,” he said.
Meanwhile, Real Mona coach David Laylor was extremely disappointed with the club’s decision but puts the blame on KSAFA.
“I do not know where they are going. I do not see KSAFA leagues going in any positive direction. I do not have the confidence in KSAFA anymore.
“I think the time has left them and they do not realise what is happening. Progress is inevitable. Changes are inevitable. You must embrace changes.
“If you cannot see the time and season for change then you are not ready for leadership and KSAFA is a big confed. If the leadership cannot see the need for change and come to some agreement to make the changes work then they are not ready to lead KSAFA,” said Laylor.
Moses said he understands the coach’s frustration.
“Coach Laylor, I met with him last night [Tuesday] and we are both disappointed in the circumstances.
“He will have to make up his mind on what he is going to do because KSAFA will have a competition, and whatever it takes, Real Mona will put together a team and participate.
“We lost eight players in the last three days. Most of them have gone to Tier II clubs. So tomorrow, if there is a competition for us to play, we would be in a bind.
“We will have to go back to a whole rebuilding programme, and we do not know if we will reach where we reached last season, but we will see how it goes.”