Fire at Austrian hospital kills three patients, cigarette suspected as cause
BERLIN (AP) — Three patients died in a fire that broke out overnight at a hospital in a town just outside Vienna, Austrian authorities said Tuesday.
Police said they suspect a cigarette set off the blaze.
The fire broke out in a fourth-floor room at the hospital in Modelling, and rescuers were unable to save three men who were in that room, Matthias Hofer, a spokesman for Lower Austria province's health agency, told the Austria Press Agency.
A woman was slightly injured.
Authorities were alerted shortly before 1 a.m. to the fire, which filled the internal medicine ward with smoke.
Around 90 patients were evacuated, with some being moved to other parts of the hospital and others transferred to a clinic in nearby Baden.
The fire was extinguished by 3 a.m.
Evidence points to a cigarette having been the cause, police spokesman Stefan Loidl told APA later Tuesday.
Investigators believe that the fire started in the bed of a 75-year-old man who was a heavy smoker.
The room's window had been tilted open for ventilation.
The man was one of the victims, along with two others aged 78 and 81 in the four-patient room.
The fourth patient wasn't in the room at the time and wasn't harmed.
Follow The Gleaner on Twitter and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.