News February 19 2026

Former CARICOM leaders condemn US actions against Cuba as 'economic warfare'

Updated 1 hour ago 4 min read

Loading article...

A volunteer arranges supplies at an aid collection center for Cuba in Mexico City's Zocalo on February 16, 2026.

Former CARICOM heads of state and government have warned that the United States' threat of sanctions against nations supplying oil to Cuba constitutes “economic warfare,” and should be rescinded to halt the humanitarian crisis gripping the island of about 11 million.

The former leaders said the measure, announced in an executive order by President Donald Trump, “inflicts unconscionable suffering upon the Cuban people,” a statement said on Thursday.

They are calling for its immediate repeal to prevent further human destruction.

“The consequences of this horrific fuel blockade are catastrophic and constitute cruel punishment of the 11 million civilians by the strangulation of Cuba’s vital requirements for energy, food, medication, education and basic livelihood,” the statement read. It highlighted Cuba’s longstanding contributions to the Caribbean, including medical brigades, educational scholarships, and disaster relief.

The former leaders also recalled the historic decision on December 8, 1972, when the Prime Ministers of Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica, and Trinidad and Tobago established diplomatic relations with Cuba, asserting the Caribbean’s sovereign right to end hemispheric economic isolation of a neighboring state.

“We advocate the imperative of repealing immediately any decree that will result in an unprecedented humanitarian crisis in Cuba and undermine the tenets of international law,” the statement said, urging the US to rescind the order and calling on the international community to provide humanitarian assistance to the island nation.

The appeal comes amid reports of critical shortages across Cuba.

According to the Associated Press, two Mexican Navy ships carrying 800 tons of aid arrived in Cuba last week, with another 1,500 tons expected in the coming days to support vulnerable families.

The shipments follow intensified US sanctions and the suspension of Venezuelan oil shipments, leaving Cuba producing only 40% of its required fuel and facing severe blackouts.

The former CARICOM leaders emphasised that Caribbean unity and regional solidarity must guide responses to crises affecting member nations.

“We stand with the people of Cuba. We stand as the Zone of Peace. We stand for a shared Caribbean Future,” the statement concluded.

- The Associated Press contributed to this article.

FULL STATEMENT

STATEMENT BY FORMER PRESIDENTS & PRIME MINISTERS OF THE CARIBBEAN COMMUNITY ON THE HUMANITARIAN CRISIS IN CUBA

We who have previously served as Heads of State and Government of the Caribbean Community are perturbed at the deepening humanitarian crisis in Cuba and are impelled to make public this appeal to avert further human destruction.

The Executive Order January 29 2026 by the United States of America against any nation providing oil to Cuba without the imposition of punitive discriminating tariffs , constitutes economic warfare and inflicts unconscionable suffering upon the Cuban people. The universal principle of dialogue to resolve conflicts and disputes cannot be abandoned on the altar of the mighty powerful waging political vendettas against smaller nations by economic warfare.

The consequences of this horrific fuel blockade are catastrophic and constitute cruel punishment of the 11 million civilians by the strangulation of Cuba’s vital requirements for energy, food, medication, education and basic livelihood.

On December 8, 1972, the Prime Ministers of Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago made the bold decision to establish diplomatic relations with Cuba in assertion of our sovereign right to end the hemispheric economic isolation of a neighbouring Caribbean State. For over five decades, Cuba has stood in solidarity with the Caribbean through medical brigades, educational scholarships, sports and disaster relief freely given assistance in times of our greatest need and devoid of any request by them for reciprocal support of any kind.

We, during our tenure over the last 33 years, have been inspired and imbued by the courage and foresight of our predecessors at the helm to consistently sponsor and support the Resolutions at UN General Assembly for the termination of the illegal financial and economic embargo by the US against Cuba. That abhorrent embargo was condemned by an overwhelming majority of Member States, including 4 permanent members of the Security Council. The Global Community cannot remain mute and indolent while a fatal pernicious fuel torniquet stifles the Cuban economy and suffocates human lives there.

We advocate the imperative of repealing immediately any decree that will result in an unprecedented humanitarian crisis in Cuba and undermine the tenets of international law.

The foundation of the Caribbean Community rests on the right of each sovereign state to promote regional solidarity and advance comprehensive cooperation between all Caribbean states. The Caricom tradition of solidarity and the exercise of the right to enter and pursue beneficial programmes within our regional geographic space have proven invaluable and worthy of perpetuation.

We believe that the Caribbean Citizenry will support any decision by our Leaders to render tangible material support to our brothers and sisters in Cuba at this time of need.

We dare not depart from this path and must now fulfil our sacred duty to appeal for the exercise of our shared humanity in responding to the terror of economic warfare against the Cuban people.

We will never accept the doctrine that might makes right. Economic warfare waged on differences of ideology and political systems is no less odious in our single universe than military invasion anywhere for territorial aggrandisement.

In endorsing the findings of UN Human Rights Experts that this coercive Executive Order is a violation of International Law, we urge the Government of the United States to rescind this inhumane weapon of mass destruction.

We call upon the International Community to provide Cuba with desperately needed humanitarian assistance. We stand with the people of Cuba. We stand as the Zone of Peace. We stand for a shared Caribbean Future.

February 19, 2026

Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.